I guess you all have many cotton lycra clothes since I have a lot of garments made of this fabric. It is one of the most trendy fabrics all over the world. Have you ever wondered what cotton lycra is and what are the benefits of wearing cotton lycra clothes? Since you are here reading this article, the answer to the query is: Yes.
However, nothing to worry about since I am here to answer all of your questions and confusions, and make everything clearer for you. In this article, I will discuss cotton lycra in detail. What does it represent, where is it used, what are the benefits of using cotton lycra, and so on? So, all you have to do is take your seats and watch what I have in store for you today.
- Cotton lycra is one of the most popular fabrics with many intriguing features.
- Cotton lycra is a perfect blend of cotton fibers and lycra, which means it is a natural and synthetic blend.
- Cotton lycra is mainly used in sportswear, leggings, and baby clothes.
- Cotton lycra has extraordinary durability, breathability, and comfort.
- Cotton lycra doesn’t require much maintenance, but you should pay attention to how you wash them because hot water will damage your garments. P.s. NEVER iRON COTTON LYCRA!
What Is Cotton Lycra?
Most likely, many of you are familiar with cotton and lycra separately, but what is cotton lycra? Cotton lycra is one of the most common fabrics that is used in the production of many garments. It is a blend of cotton and lycra, two well-known materials. Cotton lycra is a fabric that has a lot of facilities and benefits.
As you already know, cotton is a great fabric but lacks elasticity. Lycra adds elasticity to cotton, and they both form a fantastic blend. This fabric has the characteristics of a natural and synthetic material.
Additional Reading: Comparison of Lycra and Neoprene
Cotton Lycra – What Is Made Of?
It is not difficult to state the materials from which cotton lycra is made, right? The name of this fabric tells it all. Cotton lycra is a blend of cotton and lycra. In general, cotton-lycra is a blend of 95% cotton and 5% lycra. Cotton lycra is a blend of natural and synthetic fibers, and the fabric is very durable and does not require much maintenance as cotton by itself requires.
Where We Use Cotton Lycra?
Cotton lycra has wide usage, and I am sure that most of you have a lot of cotton lycra garments in your wardrobe. Most people prefer wearing cotton lycra clothes due to many reasons. Cotton lycra is a fabric ideal for making garments that will offer durability and comfort. The texture of this fabric is soft and elastic, so it is the best fabric choice for underwear and sportswear. Most leggings and other sportswear are made of cotton lycra; this fabric will offer the elasticity we need while doing sports.
Cotton lycra is not used only for sportswear and underwear; many baby clothes are made of cotton lycra. I also have many cotton lycra dresses that I love wearing, and I have had them for very long periods. I adore the soft texture and stretchiness that those garments have. They are lightweight and give you the comfort you require.
Further Reading: Lycra Vs Nylon
What Makes Cotton Lycra Special?
Many things make cotton lycra to be of the most extraordinary fabrics that are used for the crafting of many types of garments. I will discuss them individually, and you will be fascinated by what this fabric offers. Since it is a blend of cotton and lycra, it features characteristics of both materials.
- First and foremost, I want to mention durability since it is one of the aspects we all care about the most. When purchasing clothes, I always pay attention to the fabric it is made of. Cotton lycra is a very durable fabric, so that you can wear clothes made of cotton lycra for long periods. Natural cotton fibers require a lot of maintenance and are not that durable. Polyester is the material that makes this blend to be durable enough.
- As you already know, cotton is a fabric with fantastic breathability; it is the same as cotton lycra. Cotton lycra allows the air to circulate, so you won’t feel the hot weather while wearing clothes made of cotton lycra fabric. Worth mentioning is the fact that cotton lycra fabric will absorb sweat. So this is one of the reasons why most sportswear is made of cotton lycra.
- Comfort and lightweight are other factors that make cotton lycra fabric popular and unbeaten. Outfits of cotton lycra are very lightweight, and you will feel comfortable wearing them.
How To Take Care of Cotton Lycra Garments?
Besides the fact that cotton requires a lot of maintenance, cotton lycra is a very durable fabric and does not require much caretaking. Needless to say, there are some aspects that we should pay attention though. Washing and drying is the most crucial aspect that we must consider.
In this case, the most important thing that I want to point out is that cotton lycra shows sensitivity to hot water, so you shouldn’t wash them with hot water. If you don’t want to damage your garments, you better hand wash them with cold water, but if you are too busy, you can put them in your washing machine and make sure that you are using the appropriate program for washing cotton lycra. Always follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
Bleaches and cleaning agents with many chemicals will probably damage your cotton lycra garments, so please avoid using them while washing the outfits.
Better let them air dry and avoid throwing them in a dryer because the friction and hot temperatures in the dryer will reduce the durability of garments.
Lycra doesn’t have heat resistance, so you should never iron your cotton lycra clothes. I can hear you asking, “but what about the wrinkles?” cotton lycra isn’t prone to wrinkles. Nothing to worry about!
Also Read: The Answer to Does Cotton Stretch?
I have nothing more to add at this point, and I hope everything is crystal clear. This is the end of this article, and now I will write my final words. I enjoyed writing this article a lot because I love sharing information and giving answers to your questions. I have tried to explain everything in detail and in a straightforward way.
I hope you will like this article and it will be an excellent guide.
Stay tuned; many other articles are on the way!
I have been in the embroidery field for over 10 years. My career first started when I was an apprentice to a local seamstress where I started to learn the basics of garment construction and alterations. That’s where I started to love sewing and began to hone my skills even more.